Skip to main content


As we are looking to develop standards in all CAS buildings, all paint and carpet work previously handled through departments should be routed through the Director of Facility Shared Services office for review and approval.

Furnishings and routine equipment can be updated, replaced, and purchased through state-approved purchasing process using qualified vendors. For assistance with furniture and equipment orders, contact the your facility coordinator or the Director of Facilities Shared Services. All furniture purchases should be ANSI/BIFMA rated for commercial use. All carpet should be rated for commercial use in tile or plank and consist of type 6.6 solution dyed nylon. NO broadloom carpet. For a list of all UNC standards please visit Facility Services Design Guidelines.

More extensive renovation and new construction projects include all those involving changes to walls, doors, and building support systems (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation and air, specialized equipment serving labs, etc.). These are managed and documented through the Director of Facilities Shared Services, working with university, and on occasion outside technical resources. Our office works to ensure your project goals are achieved, but also that we maintain compliance with local/state/federal regulations, a safe environment, minimal disruption to operations, and adherence to standards for cost-efficiency, design and construction. Major project budgets and procurements are managed through the UNC Facilities Services Division, per state regulations.

Undertaking a large renovation or new construction project is a large effort for any department. The Director of Facilities Shared Services can walk you through the steps involved, set up appropriate resources for implementation, and help you make informed decisions throughout the project.

Funding to improve existing facilities is generally paid for by departments and centers. Building system and common area repairs are generally funded by CAS and/or UNC administration. More extensive renovations can be sponsored by individual department or center funding sources, by the Dean’s Office, or through the state-sponsored capital projects process.